Growing up in Southern California, my grandmother had a huge lemon tree in her backyard. Every weekend my family would visit her, and my brother and I would pick lemons with eager little hands. My grandmother would then make us her famous lemon tea, consisting of hot water, lemon peel, a tsp of Bragg’s apple cider vinegar and a dash of coconut nectar. She consistently claimed that lemons prevented disease and cleansed the system of impurities.
In 2001, a U.S. scientific study found that individuals who drank hot tea with lemon peel had a significantly reduced risk (70% less) of developing skin cancer than those who didn’t. In the naturopathic community, it is believed that lemons and lemon peel, which contain the essential oil of Citrus Medica Limonum, are useful for decongesting the liver, are anti-microbial, mood elevating, and assist in balancing blood sugar. Not to mention that they are loaded with vitamin C, help with headaches, satiate hunger, and are a fantastic home remedy for sore throats, acid reflux and sinus congestion.
Topical Benefits of Lemon and Lemon Peel:
- Removes toxins and reduces oxidative stress
- Cleanses, lightens, brightens skin and reduces the appearance of dark circles under eyes
- Can help to enhance skin’s clarity, glow and suppleness
- Helps heal blemishes, gently removes impurities and excess oil
- Contains antibacterial and antioxidant benefits
- Naturally helps deodorize body odor
- Whitens and clarifies fingernails and can help prevent toenail fungus
Lemon Peel Tea: Making lemon peel tea is a simple way to begin your foray into the myriad of health benefits associated with lemons. Simply pour boiled water over thinly pared lemon peel. Let steep for 10 minutes and strain tea, discarding peel. Drink straight, or like my grandmother, add a bit of coconut nectar and apple cider vinegar for an extra boost of probiotics and energy.
When using topically always be sure to dilute lemon juice with water or another agent, and avoid eye area. It’s also extremely important to note that you must stay out of the sun when using any topical homemade lemon remedies!
Lemon Juice Toner: Combine 1 TBSP of fresh lemon juice with 1 tsp of witch hazel and 1 TBSP of water. Apply with cotton balls and rinse with cool water.
Zesty Brightening Lemon Mask: mix a tsp of coconut oil, a few drops of lemon juice and a tsp of a natural carrier oil such such as sweet almond oil. Apply to face and leave on for ten minutes before rinsing off.
You can also browse the OSEA products that contain lemon peel oil and lemon fruit extract as one of the many botanical and marine ingredients that actively work to restore skin to its highest level of healthy beauty.
- all natural skincare benefits of apple cider vinegar benefits of lemon peel benefits of lemons for skin Body DIY diy natural skincare Family lemon peel lemon tea melissa palmer osea malibu Skin