When I found out that I was pregnant, I reluctantly gave up alcohol, sushi, unpasteurized soft cheese, and my favorite thing in the world – coffee. I began taking a multivitamin that included folic acid, and a vegan omega-3 DHA oil. However, it’s not merely what a mama consumes that affects the growing fetus, but also what she puts on her body! I was surprised to learn that anything you rub onto your skin is absorbed into the bloodstream, and more importantly has the potential to cross the placenta which protects the unborn fetus.
The top toxic ingredients to avoid during pregnancy:
- Retinoids: including: Differin (Adapelene), Retin-A, Renova, Retinoic acid, Retinol, Retinyl linoleate, Retinyl palmitate, Tazorac and Avage (Tazarotene).
- Oxybenzone: (found in sunscreens), including: Benzophenone, Avobenzone, Octisalate, Octocrylene, Homosalate, Octinoxate and Octyl Methoxycinnamate.
- Parabens: including: Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Heptylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben and Nipasept.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: including: Dibenzoyl peroxide and Benzoperoxide.
- Hydroquinone: (found in skin-lightening agents), including: Benzenediol and Dihydroxybenzene.
- Dihydroxyacetone: (found in self-tanning agents), including: DHA.
Unfortunately, many of these toxic ingredients are found in the majority of drugstore and luxury skincare products. Mamas, we truly do live in a chemical world! This doesn’t mean that we have to sacrifice looking and feeling gorgeous during pregnancy! There are many natural alternatives for achieving radiant, healthy skin! We, at OSEA are proud to be natural, non-toxic and free of synthetic chemicals! We use only the purest seaweed and essential and botanical oils in our skincare formulations making OSEA products a good choice for both pregnancy and breastfeeding! (Yes mamas, those same skincare ingredients that are absorbed through the placenta, also leave their toxic trace in breast milk as well). Although OSEA products are natural, if pregnant or nursing, it’s always a good idea to check with your doctor before starting any new topical regime.
In an ideal world, women would avoid all exposure to chemicals during pregnancy. The sad reality is that we are confronted with these noxious elements in our daily lives. The best we can do as mamas to minimize potential harm is to choose to consume organic food and avoid skincare products that contain toxic ingredients. Eat well, nourish your skin with natural, unadulterated products, take long baths, cultivate a yoga practice, and engage in daily meditation. Your body and baby will thank you!
x o x,
- Tags: acne during pregnancy, All, all natural skincare, Favorite Products, hormonal acne, natural skincare for pregnancy, non-toxic skincare, non-toxic skincare for pregnancy, organic skincare, pregnancy, Skin, toxic ingredients to avoid during pregnancy